Friday, April 19, 2013

The first Big Ride

I did it, I did it and I survived.  Earlier this week after attending a day long workshop I was eager to hit the road and put my behind on a bicycle seat.  After attaching the new rearview mirror to the helmet, so I could only see the tree tops on the other side of the road, it has since been fixed and now I can see behind my shoulder; I started pedaling.  I kind of knew where I was going, if anything I was on an adventure, be what may I figured I could always use my phone and ask it to take me home.
The first hill came and went without much huffing and puffing and the bike seemed to glide over the roadway.  I stopped about five miles into the ride and not knowing exactly where I was going I tried setting up map my ride app, no luck, it was taking too long and the sun does not wait for one that tarry for an app.
So off I went, riding blind but with some clue as to where I was going, as I tell the boys, " you are never lost, its just an unplanned adventure."  After hitting the ten mile mark of the ride, I had a little mishap, the chain came off.  The worse part of it, it was completely my fault, you see I am still learning the gears and how to shift and all that fun stuff, and somehow I messed up and off came the chain.  The worse part was it was while I was climbing a very big hill.  Bummer, I had to walk up the hill because I could not get started and find the right gear while straining to ride up this hill.  But the high light of this event is it offered me the chance to try the app once again and low and behold it worked and now I knew where I was, best of all, I was not lost. 
The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful, two dogs came after me, in which I learned you don't need to be fast, just faster than the dog on your heals.  There were two more big hills and I did not pop the chain off again but I also could not find the lower gear to make the climb any easier, so I had the opportunity to walk and stretch out those calves.  The part of the ride was the best, it was all down hill and it ended at the baseball field where I was able to pick up Mathew and walk home with him. 
I love the opportunity to walk and talk with my boys, especially when its just the two of us.  I have found at those times they are the more responsive and the most open to discussions.  There are no tv's, no ipods, no other siblings, and no chores needing done during those times.  Although I do enjoy some quiet time alone I relish and recharge the most during these wonderful times spent together. 
As I continue to train for the big bike ride, I am glad for the opportunities to just walk my bike with my boys.  When it is time to hit the road and ride for a week, I will gather my strength by remembering these special moments and be thankful for the opportunity to have more as they continue to grow into mature, responsible young gentlemen and yet set aside time to spend walking a bike with mom.

p.s. the entire ride was twenty miles, only five more rotations of that route to replicate day two of the tour.  I can do this, I may not be able to move afterwards very fast, but I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment