Thursday, May 24, 2012

I have been in deep thought this week about our writing assignment for the Sinclairville Writers Circle.  We had to come up with an analogy similar to Forest Gumps quote of "life is like a box of chocolates...."  Well after some long quiet hours, although not so quiet due to the many books on cd I listen to, I have finally come up with an answer to the assignment.  Here it is world, are you ready?  "Life is like a carousel ride."

Here is my reasoning, I thought of child on the carousel, everytime they go around they always act surprised and happy to see the parent still standing in the same place.  Isn't life like a carousel ride for adults as well?  No matter what we do, what new seat we decide to take it all comes full circle, and yet we are always surprised at the ending.  For example, this year I have a new car, a new route for the eab trapping; and yet I keep seeing the same areas over again.  I am always surprised to see them, but the funny thing is they have not moved, but I have.  A few weeks ago I was in deep thought about the "what ifs" in life, you know what if I did.... or i did not do.....  Now I wonder, would it all have wound up the same way?  A different seat on the carousel, and yet the same outcome.  Maybe I would have gone a little bit higher on another seat or adventure but in the long run it would have all resulted at the same end.  I could have got off in a different location, but if I got back on I would have still ended up surprised that it still goes in a circle and I will see the same result.  Hmmmm, makes you wonder doesn't it?  I spend way too much time alone in the car.

Speaking of the car, a funny thing happened today.  Here I am going along minding my business somewhere in Schoharie County and up ahead I see a large black animal walking along the side of the road.  Now this is a remote area keep in mind.  So my first thought is, damn that is a big black bear, hmmm what are you suppose to do when you are in your car and you see a bear?  I need to get to my next trap, so I am going to keep going, I am bigger so it needs to worr,y not me.  Besides my car needs a new paint job anyhow.  As I get closer though I realize it is not a bear, .........it is a cow.  Just a small wee little cow, but a cow just the same.  So I cautiously pull up next to it, I can see it now, I worry that the cow will get scared and it runs into the car and causes alot of damage.  It happens to my mom with deer, it could happen with me with a cow, right?  Now here is the funny thing, the cow just turns around and keeps following me, it ran right next to the car.  Apparently in Schoharie County they don't just have black labs that run next to your car, they have cows that run next to your car.  I sat there and just kept driving and I started to laugh my head off.  Of course the camera was in a box in the backseat, so I don't have a picture so you will have to just believe me.

The scary animal encounter though of the day, was also in the backwoods of Schoharie County.  After drinking alot of water and tea and being alone, I decided to ....well you know.   Just as I was getting ready, under my feet the grass started to slither.  Yup, there was a snake right under my boot and it was not happy.  Needless to say I crossed the road to take care of business and from now on, I will always look twice on the side of the road before I drop my drawers.

I hope you have enjoyed my adventures and deep thoughts of the week.  By the way Rebecca was an excellent book and I would highly recommend it along with All quiet on the western front.  But Main street by Sinclair, not so much.  Till next week, where we will be touring the mohawk valley and west to syracuse.


Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment