Saturday, May 12, 2012

Vermont is very beautiful this time of year.  The flowers are in bloom, the trees are just coming alive and the peepers are singing.  But as I admire the sites my belly keeps telling me to feed it.  Thankfully in every town there is a country store or deli.  On day two of being Vermont I noticed a large and attractive deli located in North Bennington, called Powers Market.  It is a large white building that sits on a corner, the eye catching element though was the green striped awning.  Something about it told me that it was calling my name for dinner.  So after a long day of hanging purple traps in the lower half of Washington County I stopped by the Powers Market.  I was not disappointed, nor will you be when you stop by.
On first entering the deli, take a look to your left at all the really neat books on the shelf above the counter.  Upon closer inspection most of them were by local authors and many old playbills.  They have a wide variety of specialty sandwiches, ranging from vegetarian to the meat lover.  For me, I choose the Red, white and blue.  It is a sub with roast beef, marinated red peppers and a horseradish sauce with blue cheese. Now the sauce is a combination that normally I would look at it and say, " what were they thinking?"  They were thinking double yummy.  Now either I was really hungry, or that sub was really good, but it did not last more than ten minutes. 
Now to pick something to wash it all down with, just head to the back of the store.  There you will find lots of beverages, ranging from sodas, coconut water, and many adult beverages.  Oh all the decisions, I don't now if I am up to the challenge.  But the thirst had to be quenched, and the Blue Fin Stout won out. 
If you should ever find yourself traveling through North Bennington, stop at the Powers Market. You will not leave hungry nor thirsty.  If you do though, well then, take a drive up to Castleton, VT and visit the depot station.  Its only a drive of two hours.  But I will tell you more through pictures of that deli,.....tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes Jeff I did say that Vermont is beautiful, and so far, everyone is nice and I am enjoying myself.

    ReplyDelete