Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The start of a great adventure

I am very lucky to have the job that I have, I do not say this tongue and cheek, but with all seriousness.  It has allowed me to spend time with my boys, during most of the year, and it has allowed me to satisfy the gypsy that dwells deep within me.  I have known about the gypsy for years, but it has not raised its head till the past seven years; and now it is trying to be heard even more.  So, I gladly listen to it, and when a job comes up that I am able to travel, I grab my suitcase and run away with it. 
This trip I am gone for ten whole days.  That is alot of time to be away from the boys, but thank goodness for Skype.  We are able to still do our reading at bedtime and interact with each other,which consist of making  goofy faces at each other to keep us laughing.  I hope my room mates will enjoy Mrs. Piggle Wiggle as much as the boys do, because they will hear the last three chapters for the next few nights.  We are traveling to Vermont for the next eight days, and I do mean all of Vermont.  I will get to see everything from Bennington to St Albans and everywhere in between.  I wonder how many red barns  will I see?

Yesterday I traveled out to Bennington from Western New York in the most unpleasant of weather, Rain, Rain and more Rain; atleast it wasn't snow. It is better to have the rain on a travel day than on a working day.  It is not very pleasant to be raising your pole fifteen feet into the air to hang a trap that has metal on it during a lightning storm, nor as the rain is pelted into your eyes.

But as I traveled , it was not the mountains that tugged at my heart as I approached Bennington, but it was a valley that almost made the steering wheel make a sharp right hand turn.  The Mohawk Valley to be precise.  During the past seventeen years the Mohawk Valley has become a second home for me, and for my boys.  Where else can you go to dig for diamonds, be intrigued by the Erie Canal, tour a gun manufacturer( which i still have not done) and rediscover your love of baseball?  As you crest the hill on Route 90 heading east and begin your decent into the valley, it is hard not to have a smile cross your face. 
If you are hungry while you are visiting the Mohawk Valley, there are alot of great choices.  From the chicken riggies to the thin crust pizzas, there is something for everyone.  I can not tell you all of my favorites, and some of my not so favorites, this time.  So the best advice I can give you is, stay tuned and I will share with you all the wonderful adventures that this gypsy has while quenching the thirst and hunger of adventure, demanded by the gypsy within me.  Together we will share with you the dairy barns, diners, hotels, bars, tourist traps and hotels as we travel all over the place.  Tomorrow I will share the really neat and yummy food and drink I found in North Bennington this afternoon. 
Cheers everyone and thank you for coming  along on the adventure, with me and my gypsy.

2 comments:

  1. Good job on your first post! I like the background you chose. I look forward to more stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on beginning your blog! I can't wait to read more about your travels!

    ReplyDelete